Do I need SR-22 Insurance if I Don’t have a Car?

If you had a DUI or DWI in the State of Arizona, and you do not have a car, you may be shocked to learn that you may still be required to have an SR-22.. The SR-22 helps prove to the state your financial responsibility to drive and it will be needed to reinstate your license that was suspended after the DUI. This is true even if you drive another person’s car or a vehicle owned by another company for your work.

What is SR-22 Insurance?

Auto Insurers that provide higher risk insurance coverage for drivers that have had a DUI or similar offense must provide the state with a SR-22 Certificate of Insurance. It shows the state you have financial responsibility to pay for any accidents and demonstrates you have the liability limits needed to reinstate your license when the suspension period ends. The insurance carrier files this certificate with the state, which then allows the state to monitor that you have the adequate coverage during the period that SR-22 is required, which is usually three years.

Minimum Mandatory SR-22 Insurance Requirements

SR-22 establishes proof that you have the minimum insurance required by the state. These limits are:

  • $10,000 in property damage coverage in one accident,
  • $10,000 in bodily injury coverage in one accident, and
  • $30,000 in bodily injury for all injuries in an accident.

SR-22 acts as a rider to your own insurance policy if you have a car. If you borrow a car, it acts as liability only insurance that is secondary to the car owner’s primary insurance policy. You should confirm with the owner that their auto insurance also meets the minimum liability requirements in Arizona.

The Non-Owner SR-22 Insurance Requirement

The State of Arizona requires non-owner SR-22 Insurance if you have a DUI or DWI offense, or if your driver’s license has been suspended. Non-owner SR-22 Insurance is required to reinstate your license. Non-owner SR-22 Insurance acts as a secondary liability insurance to the owner’s insurance of the car that they borrow to drive. It does not give liability, collision, or comprehensive coverage to that person’s vehicle. Rather, it covers the driver borrowing the car.

How Do I Get SR-22 Insurance?

You will need to make sure that the insurance company you choose can offer non-owner SR-22 insurance. Not all companies offer this policy. Since SR-22 is a high-risk insurance policy, the costs to obtain the coverage and pay for filing the Certificate can add up. You will want to shop around for the best prices. UNO Insurance in Phoenix, AZ can help you compare quotes from several different companies for Non-Owner SR-22 Insurance, contact us today for more information.